Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Pig roaster update

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

On 2010-08-15, Ignoramus7071 wrote:
After much thinking, I have decided to go with this motor:

It is 8.9 RPM, so it needs to be geared down only about 3:1.

I looked more closely at the steel that I have, and found a good about
of what looks like 12-14 gauge sheetmetal.

I must have been drunk. What I meant was "found a lot of what looks
like...";

So I think that I just might have enough to make what I need. I will
not statr yet because I want to do one project at a time, and I am
busy with the mill. Maybe next spring.

When you design your roaster, consider two charcoal troughs, with a gap
in the middle for fat to drip through into a catch tray below. At some
point in the pig roast all the subcutaneous fat liquefies and will be
dripping out, and if it drips onto the charcoal you get nasty flames.