Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default motherboard cpu power section check

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 02:12:28 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 15, 6:03Â*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on battery
only.
Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

thanks to your suggestions, I did a BIG step forward, I had a try at
this:
"In SafeMode Goto control panel-- device manager--- goto
processor---- disable one of the two processors -- reboot normally.
This FIXED the problem, but 1processor is not really a great fix; more
of a work around."

And IT WORKS, pc is now running on external power at the moment, a thing
that I've never seen on it. I tryed disabling a cpu core in BIOS in the
past unsuccesfully, but disableng from devmgmt.msc fixed it.

I do not think it can be a ripple problem because it did not boot at all
when connected on power, but who know? Still have to understand if it
is:
- faulty cpu
- faulty cpu power section
- bad cpu/other microcode

I would try to see with scope and multimeter but still don't know
exactly what and where to look for.

Is that a dual core CPU or hyperthreaded single core.