Posted to uk.d-i-y
sweetheart[_2_] sweetheart[_2_] is offline

Default Electricity costs.

"js.b1" wrote in message
OP... Iron has a thermostat.
- 70% duty-cycle @ 2kW @ 1/2hr @ 180x per year
- 0.70 x 2 x 0.5 x 180 = 126kWhr = £12.60.

Reducing it 50% brings it down to £6.30 per year.
Not much for a 50% reduction - but no point ironing things that do not
need ironing.

Water Meter!!
The Rateable Value charge may be £470, Assessed Usage charge may be
£420, but Water Meter may be £200. Now that could be an easy way to
save £800 over 4 years. That is 1 year free electricity in a very bad
(2009) winter after basic insulation changes have been made.

Not in our case. We pay £158 water a year.

Cash in Banks.
Cash is earning 0.1%, sadly the govt shut the NSandI Index Linked
Savings Certificates (RPI Index Linked + 1%) which is just an insult -
or smart considering how high inflation will be over the next 10 yrs.
Even so ING offers about 3% and so do others so do not lose even that
seemingly small 2.5-2.9% potential.

I currently have one earning 6% with the Halifax. I took it out days before
the 2008 crash and it was guarenteed for five years ( I had to tie the
money up that long) I recenly ( few months back now) took another with
Halifax also and that has a 3.5% rate on it.

Can you save £20/month into a broad equity-multi-asset fund?
You could put 20/month into an ISA fund such as Cazenove Multi-Manager

I am up to the hilt on ISA - all minimum of 3.5 % on them too ( they came
from RBS when they were giving a good fixerd rate.

E7 has the benefit of no maintenance, no £2000 boiler cost, no
radiator replacement and so on -- but it does require good insulation
to work properly.

Yes, we know that and we have the insulation but for some of us there are
few alternatives.

What I really needed to know as per my original question is are my
electricity costs exorbitant in terms of other peoples or is my OH being
unrealistic in his expectations of reducing it further?
That's why I gave the figures.