Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Electricity costs.

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
I know this is cheeky but I wondered if anyone would be willing to
give me a "price comparison" for their electric usage?

My house is a large 2 bedroom bungalow. I say large because we have
large rooms and a big kitchen dining room and extra big sitting
room as well as two double bedrooms.

There is no gas main where I am so I use all electric - economy 7

The bill for this last year has come to £1086 . That includes the
central heating last winter.

snip

£270 a quarter for all your needs - heating, light, cooking, all
apliances, hot water - doesn't sound too high.

You don't give any detail about your central heating, so can't
comment on the possible efficiency.

Night storage heating and we have changed the heaters for new ones
recently. My husband checks the usage daily in winter and he will
turn them off if he thinks we are uasing too much ( that is what he
thinks is too much) .

Using a dishwasher is usually more energy and water efficient than
washing stuff by hand.

The dishwasher is almost brand new ( my old one bit the dust, was
obsolete and the insurance company gave us a new one - its an AAA
rating.)
The Washing machine is two years old and again AAA rarted.

My mum bought me a new fridge which is A rated my old one kept
defrosting and OH wouldnt let me have a new one. The freezer is a
little older - and may be higher on usage but it isnt THAT old - five
years? B ut I dont use the dishwasher and washing machine daily.
Weekly for washer and every other day for dishes ( I always ensure I
run it full that way)

The one thing I might agree with is turning off the immersion heater
in the summer.
If you have an electric shower and a dish washer then there isn't
much you need a hot water tank for.

My husband uses the emersion heater to shave daily. I use it for
cleaning. I know its an extravigance but it is set low on the
thermostat. Boling kettles for hot water might be just as wasteful
and time consuming.
In fact the kettle seems to be the only thing we havent cut back on -
yet.

Which has some fairly 'noddy' advice he
http://www.which.co.uk/advice/home-h...ting/index.jsp
This includes:
" * Annual fuel cost for heating and hot water: £870 Economy 7/10
tariff
* Carbon emissions per year: 6 tonnes

But it doesnt seem to work that way for me. I have seriously cut out
everything I know now. We are a detached bungalow and I said - large.

These yearly costs are estimated costs based on heating and hot water
demands of a three-bedroomed, semi-detached, well-insulated house
(insulated cavity walls, 270mm loft insulation and insulated primary
pipe work), the efficiencies of typical heating systems and the
current average price per fuel per kWh (as at Sept 2008). They are
not derived from actual fuel bills."

Well that explains a lot. Unfortunately my husband will look at
figures like those and expect me to hit them in our house.

But you are hitting those figures. £870 for heating and HW leaves you £216
pa for the lighting, cooking, washing machine, TV kettle etc.

--
Adam