Posted to uk.d-i-y
sweetheart[_2_] sweetheart[_2_] is offline

Default Electricity costs.

I know this is cheeky but I wondered if anyone would be willing to give me a
"price comparison" for their electric usage?

My house is a large 2 bedroom bungalow. I say large because we have large
rooms and a big kitchen dining room and extra big sitting room as well as
two double bedrooms.

There is no gas main where I am so I use all electric - economy 7

The bill for this last year has come to £1086 . That includes the central
heating last winter. The company is British Gas - so not the cheapest I am
sure but given its E7 none of them come in greatly cheaper for my area
(Cornwall) so I have stayed with who I know since they have been no trouble.

My eco conscious and money miser husband thinks our bill is high and wants
me to look for ways to cut it. I cant find any.

He wants me to stop using my washing machine which goes on once a week - or
maybe twice if I have anything big and my usual wash is 40 degrees although
I occasionally use the higher wash rates for bed clothes and towels.

He wants me to use the dishwasher less - I put it on every other day at
normal ( 55 degrees) wash and he wants to switch the emersion heater off
altogether - it goes on for an hour each night to provide water for cleaning
and washing every day.
He says our bill is high ( the DD is £26 a month ) but I cant see where
its going other than on things I need now.

My mum tells me her leccy bill is higher than ours yet she uses a coal fire
central heating system ( but my parents are old and need the heat so do
supplement it with electric fires and she has a much bigger house).

I just wondered what other people who are all electric in a comparable
situation might be paying.

Sorry to be a pain.