Jerry Gilreath

Default computer in the shop

Damn, have you seen the prices of the Vic20's and Commodore 64's at flea
markets and things??? Collectors are paying a pretty penny for them. There's
one or the other, I can't remember which, in the Smithsonian. I'm hanging on
to both my Vic 20 and Commodore.

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"Don" wrote in message

"Rick Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
I am a long time wreck lurker. and a recent post by Jim Laumann "A

'puter
in the shop" got me thinking.

In 1994 when I purchased my first house I wanted to buy a RAS to help

with
some of the fix ups needed. My father who lived close by talked me into
getting a tablesaw because he already had a ras and said it would be

nice
have both between us. So it was off to the local sears and I purchased

contractors table saw. I purchased the saw for $449.00 and I could not
believe that I spent that much on something I didn't event know how to

use.

About a year later, my wife and I decided to purchase our first

computer.
am a CAD tech and I did not want anything less than I was using at work

at
the time.
So I went to the local computer shop and had one built to try to save

money.
I had to have that new HOTTT Pentium chip. I was really excited to get

the
Pentium 90 that ran so hot it needed its own fan. I paid $150 bucks

extra
to double the RAM to 16 megs, and I got a huge 15" svga monitor. Final
price for that computer was $2300 but man was I styling......AOL at a
whopping 14.bps ...... life doesn't get any better....

Now 2004, I have a used $449.00 craftsman table saw that I still

thoroughly
enjoy, and that $2300 computer is darkening some corner in a land fill

right
now..... what I wouldn't give to has that $2300 in tools now,
Funny what we are willing to spend money on.

Just this past week I finally kicked sniff my first 2 computers to the
curb to free up some real estate in the garage.
A Commodore VIC20 bought in 1984 and a clone 286/12 bought in 1988.
Paid $80 for the VIC at Toys R Us and had a loan for 3 years on the 286,

it
cost $3300.
My present machine (I use AutoCAD daily for my livelihood) cost 1/3 of the
286.