Posted to rec.woodworking
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Metal rods for filing cabinet?

On Aug 13, 9:54*am, Lenona wrote:
On Aug 13, 8:32*am, Jack Stein wrote:

Lenona wrote:
On Aug 12, 2:00 pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Remove the rods and get a free standing adjustable folder frame. They
sell them at all office supply stores.

Nice, but that would take up a little space inside, and the clippings
in the files stick out as it is. (I don't like to fold them too much
because it makes the files thicker.)

Not sure what you mean by clippings,

Newspaper clippings. They stick out on all sides. Again, I don't like
to fold them too many times.

I made the supporters yesterday out of curtain(?) hooks and something
else that looks like parts of tiny hinges. This means the right-hand
rods will no longer be quite horizontal, since I can't put the hinges
quite high up enough, but at least everything's stable now, even if I
slam the drawer. Turns out, too, that if I take all the rods and files
out and put the right-hand ones in FIRST, they're pretty secure, but
as soon as I put in the left-hand rods, the pressure caused to the
back side of the drawer causes the right-hand rods to be much looser.
This clearly means that, in both drawers, the back side is not quite
perpendicular to the left and right sides, but you can't see that with
the naked eye.

Lenona.

A cuple of T nuts, aka treaded inserts would probably work just fine.