Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default "whitetopping" an asphalt drive

On 08/14/2010 09:47 AM, Tony wrote:
Ohioguy wrote:
We moved into our refurbished (FHA rehab loan) 1979 home back in
March. I had been planning on just applying a couple of those
"squeegee" sealcoats onto the old asphalt drive, but the huge and very
heavy dumpster that they had resting there during the rehab process
caused a bit of damage on the way out.

I tried patching one of the holes with pothole filler, with mixed
results. (looks ok, but we were tracking in black crap on our shoes
for weeks)

After doing the patch, put sand on top of it so the stuff doesn't stick
to your shoes. Sprinkle more sand on as needed until patch is cured.

Does it get below freezing or snow/sleet there? If so I'd leave it
black. Amazing how well a black driveway melts the snow faster than a
concrete one. If I did have a concrete driveway, I'd stain it a medium
color between white and black. I hate looking at concrete. I had a
little concrete here. Wet it down and sprinkled steel fillings from a
machine shop, then kept misting it for a few days. I like the rust
colored concrete much better.

I like a concrete driveway much better than asphalt because it tolerates
actually working on vehicles much better (easier to roll a creeper
around, and jacks/stands don't sink into it) but I like your idea
because asphalt does melt snow much better.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel