Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:58:55 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Aug 13, 8:31*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:00:59 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Aug 13, 7:29*pm, "
wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 , RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 13, 6:41*pm, " wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

A better question to ask over at the wreck would be, if you had a
choice of paying $2000 now and getting the tip of your finger back,
would you?

False choice. *Hindsight isn't a logical argument.

Learning from the mistakes of others is. *In fact, it is pretty much
the supreme logical argument unless you're living in some ivory tower.

No, because there is no guaranty that any individual will have an accident.
The argument was worded as a decision made in hindsight. *"If you knew you
were going to die today, why don't you stay in bed.".

I'm not trying to convince you to do anything with your money. *You
earn it, you spend it. *You are free to spend as much or as little on
a tool as you see fit. *I was merely addressing some inane remarks
that the SawStop is worthless and bad technology. *It's anything but.

It's not worthless at all. *It's *WAY* too expensive. *If it was perhaps $500
instead of $2000, I would likely have come to a different decision. *It was
*not* worth twice the money.

$500...? *For a table saw? *Huh?

Yes, I *might* have gone $2000, instead of the $1600 I paid for the Unisaw,
but there was no way I was going to shell out $3500 for the SawStop. *A nice
Grizzly cabinet saw was about $1300. *

For $500 you get a DeWalt job site
saw. *Hardly comparable to a cabinet saw. *The SawStop is also more
than just the brake. *In all of the reviews they mention it's well
thought out design and nice features. *You are comparing two different
animals, saying they're the same, and then basing your opinion solely
on money. *Where's the logic in that?

No, $500 for the SawStop *FEATURE* (it should be closer to $200). *I might
have gone for perhaps a 30% premium, but *not* twice. *This isn't an academic
exercise for me. *I've been there. *

It's your opinion that is **WAY* too expensive. *Opinions vary, and
there's a niche for every tool. *It's no skin off of your teeth, is
it? *So what's your beef? *Do you get all bent out of shape because a
Mercedes is twice the price of a Toyota? *Fine, don't buy it. *But to
picket in front of the store, which is kind of what you seem to be
doing here, seems odd.

Exactly! *Do you propose that *everyone* drive a Mercedes because they may be
safer than a Toyota? *...even though they cost twice as much? *After all,
you're far more likely to get killed driving than you are working on a table
saw.

I don't think a Mercedes is twice as safe as a Toyota, but no, it's
like I said, anyone is free to buy whatever they want. I was just
addressing the SawStop disinformation.

Pick your poison then. You would have everyone spend twice as much?

BTW, I've recently started making the switch over to Festool stuff.

I have a couple, likely won't buy any more, though. Too expensive and I'm
happy with the other tools I have.

Their smaller circular track saw lists for ~$500.

Have one (TS-55). I may pick up another (shorter) piece of track next week.

Their jigsaw close to $400.

No use for it. Perhaps if I didn't already have a Bosch.

The vacuum I got, with all of the accessories, lists for
over $1600 before tax.

Didn't want yet another dust collector. I have enough of 'em. Their bags are
ridiculous.

There are no Festool discounts available anywhere.

They (TS-55, TS-75, track, and dust collectors) were just on sale for 10% off.
Not much, but it *was* a discount.

I picked up the tools at a garage sale, and on eBay and
Craigslist. I paid roughly $900 for the three. Including the other
Festool stuff I've picked up, I'm all in for about two grand, and I'm
not done. I am now selling the tools I've replaced and expect to get
at least six or eight hundred. I'm trading up.

....and a OH1400 (router).

I can buy this stuff partially because I chose not to spend $3500 on a table
saw. My Unisaw works just fine.

Is the stuff worth it to me? Hell yeah. I wish I had gotten into it
earlier. Life is too short to work with 'acceptable' tools that
inconvenience me. All of their tools are part of a system, and you
can use the tracks with their routers, jigsaws, and circular saws.

Yeah, I know all about FesteringTools. Your point?

The dust collection with their vacuum is almost perfect, and it's a
variable speed _quiet_ vacuum. It makes the work much more enjoyable
and I don't spend nearly as much time cleaning up. Time's money,
whether you're getting paid for it or not, right?

Sure.

I can't just look at a tool and say that just because it's X dollars
more that it doesn't make sense. I have to factor in the other
things, and those other things can easily tip the scales one way or
the other. I don't have especially deep pockets, but I'll find a way
to afford something if I think it warrants it. I've never used the
SawStop, and I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, but if I were in the
market for a table saw I'd certainly take a hike down to a dealer and
put it through its paces before I shelled out any cash.

Your point? Why don't you have a SawStop. OMG! You're going to DIE!