Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default How much weight can a 3/4" of MDF support?

On 8/14/2010 11:36 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote

32" flat screen CRT? Yeah they are that heavy. That's a *lot* of
glass and often MDF casing. Our 1982 vintage 25" RCA table top was
100 lbs.

Damn - I was stronger than I realize back then, I guess. I just put up
a 32" flat screen in our bedroom - using a wall mount. I know that one
is well under 100 lbs. I hung a mount that would carry 100 lbs, but
only because I wanted the movements it was capable of. It's quite over
capacity for the TV hanging from it.

An LED or LCD flat screen is about 30 pounds. Much different than the
CRT he has.

I think people are confused by his use of "flat screen" and are assuming
he's talking about an LCD or plasma instead of the kind of CRTs with
flat faces that Zenith developed about 30 years back.

Or maybe they're just kids who have never seen a CRT.

The one under discussion is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-32FS120-32-Inch-Trinitron-Flat-Screen/dp/B0002FO3JC.

or this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/direct-view-tvs-crt/zenith-32-flat-screen/1707-6481_7-20604307.html

All you folks who say that it can't be that heavy, note the dimensions,
including depth, and the weight.