Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg O[_2_] Greg O[_2_] is offline

Default A neener and a tear

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:41:52 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:45:12 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Greg O wrote:
"lektric dan" wrote in message
Just scored a set of 4 "Two Cherries" chisels at the local Ace
Hardware. I didn't know anything about them but thought the price -
about $40 - was cheap enough for the risk. Googled them when I got
home and found out this was a pretty good deal.

The reason they were so cheap is that the two Ace stores in town are
selling everything off and packing up. One is already closed - all
inventory moved to the second store. Second store will be gone by
the end of the month. There's a Harbor Freight across the street,
and a Wal Mart down the block. The store across town had a Lowes, a
Home Depot, and a Wal Mart to compete with.

I would not be so quick to blame the big box stores of killing off
the Ace Hardware stores!
We have a hardware store here that was barely hanging on. The owner
figured it was time to either lock the doors, or fight head on with
the big boys, so he moved into a building right next door to Menards.
There is also a Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart ,and Target within a mile
of his store. He claims it was the best thing he ever did. When
customers get sick of buying low quality import crap with no service
from the big box stores they stop in and see him and buy quality with
service.

Yep. The owner of a sci-fi bookstore told me he'd love to be able to
move
next to Barnes & Noble. "I got the books, new AND used, videos, games,
costumes, game pieces, posters, t-shirts, everything. You step up to
the
counter and say 'I'm looking for a book about robots with a green
cover'
and
I say 'how many?' Over at the gox store it's 'hey man, if it's on the
shelf
we got it' "

Ever notice how furniture stores and car dealerships conglomerate into
one
area of town? It's not by accident or that they have no choice. It's
better
to be where the people are than where they aren't. ;-)

And how most of the big box stores locate where there's just about
nothing
else. Local HD has freeway on one side and Target on the other. Lowes has
freeway and a coffee/lunch place.

Not here. They're both in a largish shopping center (Lowe's is actually
on
the other side of the road). Big box paradise, as it were; Home Depot,
Target, Dick's, Kroger, Best Buy, Hobby Lobby, World Market, Old Navy,
Office
Depot, The Home Depot, Books-A-Million, Petco, and a bunch more smaller
stores. They were in outdoor malls in NE Ohio, too. Maybe that's a
regional
thing.

Could be, Wal-Mart tends to be off by itself also.

Not here. All the big box chain stores are with in a mile or so of each
other. We have a very congested shopping area. There are a few exceptions,
but like the list above, we got 'em all within walking distance of each
other!
Greg