Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much weight can a 3/4" of MDF support?

Megan Kinzler wrote:

Oh, it IS at least 150 pounds. The tube is HUGE. And the back does
not get smallish, either. The back of the set must be 24" or so at
it's smallest. I have never seen a bigger TV set in my life (that is
like this one). Somebody said it has feet but it doesn't. I had to
pick my left nut off the floor last night because I wanted to see if
there were feet and I was too impatient to wait for anybody to help
me. The bottom isn't flat as there are ridges all around but I figure
that is to strengthen the plastic.

Nonetheless, whenever I was flipping it back up onto it's base, it
took all I had and I hope I am not so old that 100 pounds feels that
heavy!!

Huh. Our heaviest TV is a 32" down in the den. It's not HD and it is a
traditional tube. Kinda ugly, but it was a gift, and it has a great
picture, so I get over the ugly part. It's heavy, but not 100 lbs for sure.
I can get it up on the stand by myself, but prefer a helper - more because
it's so awkward. 100 pounds can feel heavy for me, or feel not so heavy -
depends on what I'm lifting. 100 lbs of TV feels heavy. 100 lbs of female
would be easy to lift on my lap...

--

-Mike-