Posted to uk.d-i-y
Keefiedee Keefiedee is offline

Default Advice please on filling crack between brickwork and rendering

On Aug 14, 4:10*pm, Keefiedee wrote:
Yes - I can see a "movement joint" is exactly what is required.

Any tips on how to create that? *My immediate thought is to fix a thin
(5 to 10 mm) piece of wood to the brickwork and then build the render
up onto that. *But how to stop the render sticking to it so it can be
removed to leave the required gap?

Is "high modulus sealant" the same as "ISTR polysulphide sealant"?
Found the former on google, but not much of a result with the latter!

Keith

Actually, on looking at it again, the gap is not that thick at all.

What I think I might just need to do is to angle grind the render that
has come away to a straight line, then put some sort of tape on the
brickwork to stop the render sticking to it, replace the render over
the tape without getting it on the brickwork, and when all complete
fill the edge between render and brickwork with hign modulus sealant.
Would gaffer tape do? Would it actually matter if the render actually
stuck to the tape - presumably gaffer tape would accommodate a small
amount of movement?

Further thoughts please - does this make sense to those with more
experience than myself?.

Keith