Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Press and interference fits...Help!

On 2010-08-13, dan wrote:
What's that Lassie? You say that Gunner Asch fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:33:02 -0700:

Does it have the designation written on it -- or are you going
by color codes on the ends? The latter is dangerous, because different
metal vendors use different color codes, so you *have* to know where
they came from for the color codes to be of any use.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Nah..I never pay attention to color codes. As you say..they tend to be
different from supplier to supplier...shrug.

Most suppliers I've seen, use color codes to indicate the level of
precision, not the alloy.

Well ... the Jorgensen steels catalog has a table in the back of
the color codes and what they mean -- and *there* they *do* identify the
alloy.

Do a Google search on:

alloy color codes

and look at what you get.

The first meaningful one is:

http://www.trident-metals.com/color.shtml

giving Trident's color codes.

This one:

http://www.southerntoolsteel.com/color-codes.html

gives a differing set of colors -- for the same function. (Compare the
differing colors used to identify 12L14 as an example.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564