Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Semi-neat trick for sealing 5C collets

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 19:19:36 -0800, Jon Anderson
wrote:

Turning some 304 SS parts, my Omniturn doesn't really like this stuff.
Maybe don't have the best part off tool for the material, but using what
I got. Parting off at low rpm, high flood coolant flow, and this allows
a lot of coolant to get through the slots in the collet face. Seldom
have this trouble at high rpm...

Fixed it with a couple dabs of oil based modeling clay packed into the
slots. Works perfect, easily removed when done.

Jon

Or simply stick a plastic pipe plug in the ass end of the spindle at the
collet closer. I keep a box of them on hand just for this..as I found a
bunch of them and was too lazy to make up an 1.125 plug out of delrin
with an o ring on it.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9