Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Press and interference fits...Help!

Gunner blasted out with:
The ID was to have a .002" interference fit..and I accomplished this
with no issues. I machined the OD to be .003 larger than the ID of

the
bearing race....and once the bearing race was tapped a couple

times..the
damned thing slid on with a tad bit more than hand pressure. Easy with

small block of wood.

This sounds quite impossible, unless you're mis-measuring something --
either the race I.D. or the O.D. of the shaft.

A two-thou interference fit is NOT going to slide with hand pressure.
You'd be lucky to press it on with a small arbor press without
chilling/heating.

A couple of things come to mind: 1) you're compressing the telescoping
gauges while mic'ing them. 2) you're turning taper.

You say you "machined the od TO BE (emphasis mine) larger than the ID of
the bearing race". You _didn't_ say, you measured it after machining and
cooling, and _determined_ it to be 0.003" larger. Sorry, but there is a
difference. And remember, even a burr or a rough finish will make that
o.d. look larger, or the i.d. smaller than it really is.

Gunner, it _can't_ be actually a 0.003" fit and slide on like you say.

LLoyd