Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger

"DerbyDad03" wrote
The article said:

"The average age of injured party was 51 years old."

Which appears to have made you assume:

"Given the average age, I'd say these were people with experience
too."

I'd say that that is an assumption that cannot be made. Of course, it
also has to be based on your definition of "experience". If someone
uses a table saw *once*, do they have "experience"? Technically, by
definition, yes. However, in terms of this discussion, no.

Re read what I said. "I'd say" is an opinion. My opinion is based on the
people that I know that use table saws both a professional and as hobby
woodworkers and builders. All the older people that I know happen to have
many more years of exposure and use of most power tools than those younger.
I don't keep records though.

I don't think that the average age can be that easily associated with
"experience".

Fine, that is your opinion.

My only point is that I don't think you can conclude that the average
age of 51 means that those with experience are the ones being injured.
It *may* actually be true, but I don't think that the limited
information given justifies that conclusion..

OK, you expressed your opinion, I've expressed mine. Unless someone comes
up with actual statistics, that is all either of them is. But do take a
look at the guys in most skilled manufacturing jobs today and see if you
might change your opinion. Stop by a Woodcraft or Rockler store and look at
the customers. Talk to the guys that post on rec.woodworking.