Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It Begins

John Husvar on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:19:45 -0400
Awwww, horseapples, you two!

"Cult" is merely a sociological term for fitting all or part of a list
of behaviors. It is value neutral -- except for the connotations it has
accreted in non-academic and media use.

Every religion I've ever heard of has some or all of the characteristics
of a "cult." Goes with the territory.

Atheism can't be a religion in the usual Western sense because it
doesn't accept the central thesis of such religions: a god.

There are those who do not believe there is a God, and there are
those who believe there is No God. Or "happy atheists" and "grumpy
atheists".

(Eastern and
other philosopho-religions are their own special cases.)

As far as provability, fuggedaboutit: Theists can't prove there is a god

Some of us will say that trying to "prove" God is like trying to
show a picture of a sound. Different areas of perception.

So, I agree there.

and atheists can't prove there isn't. (that proving a negative thingy)
(Even Dyslexic Agnostics can't "prove" their case(s).

Neither position is subject to empirical or logical proof since what is
to be proved doesn't seem to exhibit any reliable evidence either way.

IMHO, about the only tenable position is: I don't know and probably
can't know and probably wouldn't be able to grasp it if I could know,
being stuck with a finite mind.

Not to say the thread hasn't been fun to read, doncha know.

Now does this muddy the waters any more? :P

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!