Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

Evan wrote:
On Aug 12, 6:36 pm, aemeijers wrote:
George wrote:
I'm going to risk catching Hell and attach an article I wrote years ago
concerning carpet and carpet sales practices. It was from a different
time in a different region of the country, but is still quite timely and
valid. Any comment or suggestions on how it can be improved would also
be appreciated.
Nonny
Primer for Buying Carpet

(Long educational tale snipped)
Thank you- that was very enlightening. Bottom line is, it reinforces my
distaste for WW carpet even more. Gimme hardwood with the occasional
area rug small enough to wash in the big-boy washer at the laundromat.

--
aem sends...

You shouldn't wash a real area rug in a washing machine, all that
tumbling
around will place many years of wear on a real carpet...

When carpets are washed by someone who knows what they are doing
they are unrolled flat onto a conveyor belt and run through a machine
with
sprayer heads which spray cleaning solution/rinse water onto the
carpet
as it passes underneath on the conveyor... It is then blown with warm
air to remove excess water and hung to dry on a racking system in a
humidity controlled warmed space...

~~ Evan

I'm not talking hand-dyed and hand-tied Persian rugs here. Yeah, I've
seen on TOH and other shows how those have to be cleaned. Fortunately,
the cost of those is well higher on the food chain than I will ever be.

I was speaking of the basically disposable rugs like you get at BigLots
or Kmart, to put near weather doors, beside the bed, at the bottom of
the stairs so your feet can 'see' the bottom when your arms are full,
that sort of thing. Rugs where if they last five years, they don't owe
you anything.

--
aem sends...