Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_11_] mike[_11_] is offline

Default How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

gpsman wrote:
On Aug 12, 4:58 am, mike wrote:
So, what are the features/specs to look for in residential
carpet?

_I_ just (used to) look at the weave density. If I can easily
separate the tufts and see the backing I trust I'm looking at crap.
Comparing densities should provide a good idea of quality. I don't
think they go to the trouble of disguising inferior material with a
denser weave, but these days it wouldn't surprise me.

(I assess upholstered furniture first by the arm padding, then by
weight.)

My original shag made it 38 years.

Somebody at your house must know how to vacuum.
-----

- gpsman

The carpet fiber is just fine. It's the glue that holds the fibers
to the backing that's disintegrating.
I don't vacuum it at all any more 'cause the Hoover sucks up chunks
of carpet.

In 37 years, the only contractors that have previously visited have been
the roofer.
I just had the place weatherized/insulated. I was shocked by the
ineptitude of the contractors.

The most glaring example was that the nails holding down the subflooring
protruded into the crawl space.
They got tired of snagging on them, so they just pounded them back up into
the floor. Wonder what happens to the heads when you pound them up??
Duh!!! I'm still finding lumps under the carpet that I have to bang
down. That's another reason to go easy on the vacuuming.

I let 'em do stuff that I thought violated basic engineering principles
because, "they are experienced and know what they're doing."
Most of the stuff they screwed up was stuff they shouldn't have touched
at all.
After it was done, I regretted not throwing them out the first day.
But how do you find someone who is NOT an idiot and takes pride in his work?

After reading the links presented in this thread, I dread the upcoming
carpeting fiasco. Nobody is gonna take the time to do all the things
set forth in the CRI installation guidelines in one of the links presented
earlier in this thread.