Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Amenities found in upscale homes

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:53:27 -0700, "Nonnymus"
wrote:

I have a lifelong background in real estate and am now retired. I'd enjoy
discussing the differences in upscale single family residences found in
various parts of the country, if anyone is interested. It seems to be at
least partially OT for this newsgroup.

I am now retired to NV. Here, after looking at various custom and
semi-custom homes, I was surprised to learn I'd not "seen it all," yet.
Besides the expected features and amenities found in most upscale homes
today, such as commercial appliances in kitchens, media wiring, built in
vac, granite counters, cabinetry in the closets and multiple car garages, I
have seen some new things. These include a separate sink for vegetable
preparation, usually located near the one or two refrigerators, two
dishwashers, pot filler faucet by the cook top, outlets inside bathroom
drawers for curlers and hair dryers, fireplaces in major bathrooms and the
master suite, steam showers and (always) an in-ground pool with spa.

Upscale flooring in NV is typically Travertine in most areas and carpet in
the bedrooms, with large tile being acceptable if it matches the theme of
the home. Ceilings are usually 10' in the "lower" semi-custom homes and 12'
to 15' in the better custom ones. Doors are almost always 8', solid, and
have Baldwin or Emco hardware. Windows are low E double pane, of course,
and insulation is extensive. Exterior walls are 6" and the better homes have
5/8" drywall throughout. In some of the better custom homes, the front
door(s) are massive iron with swing out leaded glass inserts, weighing in
around 400# each.

The designated rooms of a custom home can include a media room, wine cellar,
gym, workshop/hobby room, office, den or sewing room. Some homes have a
detached building they call a Casita, which typically has a Pullman kitchen,
bath and bedroom for guests or a live in relative/housekeeper. Most of even
the semi-custom homes have a separate, outdoor accessible toilet and shower
for the pool and it might double as an inside powder room. Besides a pool
and spa, outdoor kitchen with a minimum of grill and sink are found, and
some include a dishwasher and oven.

Another feature seen in the upscale homes is stepped, or coffered, ceilings-
many with crown mold as well on the vertical portions. Pot shelves are
found in even the tract homes. Drywall corners are rounded, rather than
square, and there is every conceivable finish to the drywall other than flat
and smooth. Even in the multi million dollar homes, though, trim and
baseboards are almost always painted and of man-made material, rather than
hardwood. Hardwood trim and doors are simply not evident.

What amenities, features and the like do you find in your own area of the
country, such as the above? I'm sure it varies across the country.

Robert ,

You have a good grasp of amenities.

Henderson. NV -- now requires a new home of 5,000 sq. ft. too have a
sprinkler system for fire suppressant.