Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Metal rods for filing cabinet?

On 8/12/2010 12:35 PM, Lenona wrote:
I have a wooden filing cabinet with two drawers. All the removable
rods that hold up the hanging files are the same length - about 14
inches. However, over the years, the wood seems to have worn away a
bit around the holes on the right hand side. So now the rods won't
stay up whenever I open or close the drawer. Staples doesn't have
anything to replace them with. I'm guessing even rods that are 1/8 of
an inch longer might be OK - but I'm aiming for 1/4 inch, just so I
can have them trimmed if necessary.

So, where do I look? (No, I don't know the name of the company that
made the cabinet.)

Measure the thickness and width of the rods and see if
http://www.mcmaster.com has anything in steel bar stock that comes
close. If they do, get it, and cut it to length with a Dremel or the
like and round the corners if you want to. Not sure whether it will
need to be hardened and tempered for that application or be OK in the
soft state.

Alternatively, take a Forstner bit and cut a hole where the hole is
worn, then cut a plug out of hard maple the size to fit, cut the
necessary notch in the plug, and glue it in place.

Thanks.

Lenona.