Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default Refurbishing table lamp... cord grip

On Aug 12, 11:05*pm, Tabby wrote:
If you mean to fix the P clip in place, as far as I can see it would
do nothing at all for strain relief. And it looks like thats the issue
here, not cordgripping per se.

Undersized P-clip acting as a loose strain relief clamp. I will most
likely use the simple 2-hole plate (sort of a modern take on the
knotted cable).

Personally I wouldnt drill troika for the sake of what is a very minor
point.

It is troika style by a cornish artist (relative), he had tried to
drill the base himself but just marked out where it was thinnest (it
varies up to half inch, the items range from about 10lb to over 140lb
built-up floor standing sculptures). They should have been cut before
firing, but it got overlooked as kiln time is always tight. Meant a
lot of diamond cutting after firing which is a terribly inefficient
solution, a tile just has a hard skin, this is hard right the way
through.

They are all heavy enough that the terminals took the hit. Should be a
push-in 2 piece barb.

Contrast with a 1960s george henry lees lamp which has the smallest
flex I have ever seen, white figure-8 "bell white", and physically
unstable even before a shade is added. Pull on that flex and it goes
airborne. That is condemned on grounds of being the most stupid lamp
ever made. Then again, a lot of the glass vases (er, junk) being sold
by M&S etc are poorly weighted and not remotely flat on the base. At
least cut glass stuff stays put and has some weight to it.