Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Air conditioner smells bad

I don't have access to the outside of the AC - I think I can't open it
from the inside.
If I spray with Lysol, should I spray the intake or just the blow out
area?

Spray in the intake. Also remove the filter and you will see "coils". Pour a
bit of bleach on the coils so it drips down to the bottom. This is where the
standing water will be and that is the source of the smell. The bleach will
kill the bacteria. Do this when you will be gone for awhile and open your
windows - run the A/C to get rid of the bleach smell.

Newer window A/C units are designed to have standing water in them. The rear
fan blade splashes the water on the rear coils and this makes it run more
efficiently. But the standing water can stink!

I carefully drilled holes in the bottom of mine (outside) so all the water
would drain out. End of problem...