Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

On Aug 12, 11:11*am, keith wrote:
On Aug 12, 8:05*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 12, 8:57*am, keith wrote:

One test I've done is to "pet" the carpet, trying to get it to
"shed". *Some stores will brush their samples so they won't shed, so
if you can try it on a roll. *All carpet will shed some when new but
some is really bad. *$3K is on the low side. *There is a *lot* of
waste in carpeting, perhaps 30% or even 50%. *$3K may be $20/yd
carpeting which is pretty low-end.

I'm not sure what carpet would have a match requiring that much waste,
and if the installer has that much waste he's doing something very
wrong - like gouging the crap out of the homeowner. *Usually the waste
allowance is 10% unless there are odd layouts and restrictions.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=estim...aste+allowance
You don't even have to click on any links - just scan the hits for
numbers. *They're all around 10%.

Direction. *If you have an 'L' shaped room you can't just run the
carpet the direction of the leg, you're going to buy the whole square.

Believe it or not, it's possible to have these things called 'seams'
in wall to wall carpet. They're not all that hard to do, and a good
carpet guy can make them disappear. That cuts way down on the waste.
Like I said, and those links backup, typical wastage allowance for
carpet is around 10%.