Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It Begins

Gunner Asch on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:23:49 -0700
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:53:57 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 9, 4:23*pm, "Pete C." wrote:

I reward companies for not supporting cults, and the SA most certainly
meets all the definitions of a cult.

The Salvation Army may be a cult, but so what. What is more important
is what they do. I do not see that they are especially harmful in any
way , and do help local and foreign people. The local one color codes
all items in the thrift shop. Marks down the older merchandise by
half. And if it is still there after a week or so, ships the older
merchandise to foreign countries.

Dan

Indeed. No matter what PeteC thinks..the big question is...does an
organization/cult etc do good works that are a plus for society..or a
negative?

I dont recall the SA going door to door, pestering anyone, and they have
a very very long track record of good works.

So if they can..can be considered a cult...so what?

Im a cult member myself. I belong to the Cult of the Gun.
John Moses Browning was one of the Founders.
Along with Col. Colt, the Wessons and Smiths...a very long
history..going back to a couple Chinese guys nearly a thousand years
ago. In fact..we may have the Vatican beat for duration.

No voodoo or scary masks. We dont need em.

From the Academic Sense - "cult" defines the particular worship
pattern of a specific belief system. Thus the Cult of Yahweh as
distinct from the Cult of Baal, the cult of the Roman Catholic Church
vs the Cult of the Presbyterians. Sects are different variations on
the cult, such as the difference between the cult practices of the Zen
Buddhists and Renzai Buddhist - who both agree the Tibetans are a
little bit "different". Well just skip over the Church of Elvis.
Then we have the cults of personality, a term originally coined in
reference to Stalin, but Mao, Hitler, Mussolini, Jim Jones, and Obama
have their own devotees. On a tangent, this is one of the distinctions
between an authoritarian regime and a totalitarian one. In an
authoritarian, you just have to abide by the Dear Leader's rules; In
a totalitarian one, you must not only obey Dear Leader, but love him.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich