Posted to uk.d-i-y
Unbeliever[_2_] Unbeliever[_2_] is offline

Default How do I remove my double-glazing unit?

MuddyFork wrote:
Can anyone advise on how I can remove the double glazing unit shown
in these pictures?
There seems to be a removeable white plastic bead on the outside, but
it doesn't seem to want to come out when force is applied with a
paint scraper as shown.
There's a black rubber seal between the beading and the glass on the
outside.
There's also a black foam seam between the fixed inside frame and the
glass - it's not clear whether it is self-adhesive, or just pushed
into place. I've bought a reel of sticky foam glazing tape just in
case.

Do I need to cut out either the rubber seal or the foam seal before
the beading can be removed?
Should I remove the vertical or horizontal beading first?

Thanks

http://i35.tinypic.com/256wtg4.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/23hr6gw.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/34euxd3.jpg

Pull the internal rubber seal from between the frame and glass, go outside
and push the glass back into the frame, this 'unlocks' the external glazing
bead and allows them to be lifted out of their grooves in the frame.

If the beads still refuse to 'lift', just push them back towards the glass
to release them from the frame.

When refitting, put the glass into the frame and push it back, insert the
beads and pull these forward in their grooves, go inside, push the glass
forward and refit the rubber bead to 'lock' everything in place.