Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Seeking advice on insulating a floor from the crawlspace below.

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

That dream house I'm gonna build when I hit the lotto? - deep basement
with thick walls insulated on the outside to below frostline. Even if
furnace goes out, should stay above freezing in winter, for several
days. There is a reason bears hang out in caves over the winter.

You're gonna live where it gets below freezing when you hit the lotto?
Reminds me of my friend from Iowa: "The strangest thing about the people
there is they don't seem to realize they're free to leave."

I've lived in upstate NY for 56 of 60 years. Back in 1970 the
Marines sent me to the balmy climes of the Chesapeake Bay in VA. We
arrived in Sept, and by mid Feb I was certain I'd never leave VA. My
young bride and I walked on a deserted beach on Christmas day. . . I
hunted boar that winter in shirtsleeves in the mountains to the west.

Then summer came. I can take the cold. I can't take the heat. I
was happy to get back to 4 distinct seasons in 1972.

Maybe when I'm 80 I'll feel more inclined to leave the north-- but for
now, if I hit the lotto, I might build a cabin in Maine, and another
in Key West-- but I'll *live* in NY.

Jim