Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

On Aug 12, 3:58*am, mike wrote:
I need to carpet my house. *I went to a few stores
today and talked with the sales guys.
The price of carpet seems to be related more to the
store image than the quality of the carpet.
One guy emphasized the stain repellent.
Other guy emphasized the importance of high density pad.
One emphasized the tightness of the weave on the backside.

Quotes ranged from $3k to $7K installed for about 100 square yards
of relatively ordinary carpet.
I don't mind paying more for better product. *I don't want
to pay more for the same or inferior product.

So, what are the features/specs to look for in residential
carpet?
My original shag made it 38 years. *I'll be dead in another 25.
Don't necessarily want the cheapest crap.
Just need to figure out how to read thru the salesspeak and get the most
bang for the buck.

One test I've done is to "pet" the carpet, trying to get it to
"shed". Some stores will brush their samples so they won't shed, so
if you can try it on a roll. All carpet will shed some when new but
some is really bad. $3K is on the low side. There is a *lot* of
waste in carpeting, perhaps 30% or even 50%. $3K may be $20/yd
carpeting which is pretty low-end.

I found that laminate or better, IMO, bamboo was actually cheaper.
You can likely move up to hardwood and come very close to the $70/yd
installed price.