Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

On Aug 12, 7:32*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
mike wrote:
I need to carpet my house. *I went to a few stores
today and talked with the sales guys.
The price of carpet seems to be related more to the
store image than the quality of the carpet.
One guy emphasized the stain repellent.
Other guy emphasized the importance of high density pad.
One emphasized the tightness of the weave on the backside.

Quotes ranged from $3k to $7K installed for about 100 square yards
of relatively ordinary carpet.
I don't mind paying more for better product. *I don't want
to pay more for the same or inferior product.

So, what are the features/specs to look for in residential
carpet?
My original shag made it 38 years. *I'll be dead in another 25.
Don't necessarily want the cheapest crap.
Just need to figure out how to read thru the salesspeak and get the
most bang for the buck.

In my view, good carpet is that which you don't have in your house.

Oh, I'm sure there's a place for it, but, for me, tile and laminate are so
much better.
* Cheaper
* Easier to clean
* Invulnerable to stains
* Longer lasting
* Do not harbor nasties like odors, dust mites, particles of unknown or
unspeakable origin
* Won't rip or tear, wrinkle, or snag something
* Easier to change motif by the revision of throw rugs

You should have prefaced your comments with 'OT'.