Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default How do you tell good carpet from bad carpet?

On Aug 12, 9:58*am, mike wrote:
I need to carpet my house. *I went to a few stores
today and talked with the sales guys.
The price of carpet seems to be related more to the
store image than the quality of the carpet.
One guy emphasized the stain repellent.
Other guy emphasized the importance of high density pad.
One emphasized the tightness of the weave on the backside.

Quotes ranged from $3k to $7K installed for about 100 square yards
of relatively ordinary carpet.
I don't mind paying more for better product. *I don't want
to pay more for the same or inferior product.

So, what are the features/specs to look for in residential
carpet?
My original shag made it 38 years. *I'll be dead in another 25.
Don't necessarily want the cheapest crap.
Just need to figure out how to read thru the salesspeak and get the most
bang for the buck.

Thanks, mike

Have you considered carpet tiles? They come in a range of qualities
and you can lay them yourself. No heavy lifting, you are only cutting
small tiles. If you make a cockup it's not a problem, set it on one
side to use elsewhere in the room. (Cut the biggest tiles first.)
You can move them round the room when wear shows (put the worn ones
under furniture etc) Plus get a few spares too at the time of
purchase.
I have used them for years. No problems.