Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Seeking advice on insulating a floor from the crawlspace below.

"aemeijers" wrote in message
TheHack wrote:
kimosabe wrote in news:31d1eccf-c1a9-4c2f-b16a-
:

I have to insulate the floor in an older ranch house. It will be done
from underneath, which is a crawl space. (Ugh.)

Anyway, considering the usual array of pipes, electrical wires, and
cross-bracing between the joists that all tend to make the job more of
a hassle, what would be the most workable type of insulation to get?
I thought about rigid, but it would mean a lot of cutting and fitting.

If it turns out to be batting, that means the paper side would be
facing the ground. Is that OK?

Any other tips on how to do this are very welcome.

I just glued high density foam board to the inside of crawl space walls.
My place has forced air ducts in the crawl space. The heat loss from the
ducts stays in the crawl space and helps keep the floors warm.

And we have a winner! If your crawl stays dry, and the sidewalls get down
or close to frostline, insulating the walls is the way to go. Link to that
free ground heat and cooling.

--
aem sends...

You would just be increasing the amount of space you are heating and
cooling.