Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:36:03 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Aug 11, 4:28*pm, keith wrote:
On Aug 11, 2:39*pm, Steve Barker wrote:

I'd be willing to bet, no woodworker worth his salt would have one of
these pieces of **** in their shop.

You're *wrong*. *It's a good saw, just not worth the 2X price of an
equivalent. *They're selling far better than the similarly priced
"New" Delta Unisaw, which is also a fine saw but way out of line.

From what I understand the SawStop also has a very good dust
collection system, and has other well thought out features. I've
never had my hands on one, but in general I've found Fine Woodworking
reviews to be reliable, and they liked it.

I've looked them over (several times) at WoodCraft, and such. No doubt, it's
a fine saw. It was over twice the price of my Unisaw (two wings +
Biesemeyer), last year. No, it wasn't worth that much more.

I'd have to check out the saw to see if the other features would make
double the price more agreeable. Since a table saw is such a major
shop investment an extra thousand or so isn't all that much. Think of
what people spend on cars and toys. They'll blow far more than an
extra thousand and not think twice.

It was more like $2000 more than my Unisaw. You can rationalize your way into
the poor house that way.

Don't get me wrong, I could have found a way to find the extra $1800-$2000, if
I *had* to, but I didn't. The Unisaw is a good saw, and if I didn't get the
deal on the Unisaw I would have bought a Grizz for a couple of hundred less
still.

BTW, our vehicles are a 2000 Sable and a 2001 Ranger. ;-)