Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Press and interference fits...Help!

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:04:58 -0400, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner Asch wrote:

Ive made 6 pairs of spacers...between a driven shaft (both
ends) and a
bearing race and each and every time, Ive gotten the OD
wrong.
Each and every time..tap on the bearing race..and the
******* slides on.

How the hell does one calculate such a thingy?

This was off a pumping unit gearbox..and the people are
starting to look
at me like im an utter bumpkin...which it looks like I
am...sigh.

The ID was to have a .002" interference fit..and I
accomplished this
with no issues. I machined the OD to be .003 larger than
the ID of the
bearing race....and once the bearing race was tapped a
couple times..the
damned thing slid on with a tad bit more than hand
pressure. Easy with a
small block of wood.

Blink blink....

Anyone got any ideas/help/calcs that would fill in this
blank space in
my knowlege?

Damn Gunner, you did have a bad day. My technique with
telescoping gages is to insert
them into a clean bore at an angle so they are longer than
the ID. Lock the set screw,
then wipe once. Carefully, with a light hand measure your
telescoping gage, write down
the number.

Repeat.

Really worried, repeat again.

If you are not getting the same measurement with in the
tolerance of what will be good try
to figure out what you are doing wrong.

You don't average, the largest measurement should be the
correct one.

I have a set of old Starrett telescoping gages at work.
These are the type where only one
side telescopes. I also have a newer set of gages where
both sides telescope at home. I
can honestly say, I'd rather have only one side telescope.
I haven't shot myself in the
foot with the new ones yet but I just don't like how they
feel.

On the fit. I tend to use 0.001" per inch but I know
there are all sorts of fits and some
are a bit more aggressive.

Sorry if my post this morning shows up and turns this into
a double post.

I read enough to see they gave up on you. Oh well, that
can happen. You need to try to
fab up something similar to test your technique. This is
fairly easy chit so I understand
why you are asking for help. Heck if it is something that
is weird enough, maybe you can
save some face with them if you can explain wtf happened
and they care.

I have notchy bearings in my cross feed that I got to get
fixed. I've blown a couple
dimensions when .020" more became something else. I got
to fix it soon. Got to work this
weekend but I have the following one off. I'll put that
on my to do list.

Here's another one to watch out for: when using a boring bar
on a
quick change tool post be careful when putting the bar back
on the
toolpost after taking a measurement. It's easy to just plunk
on the tool
holder and go at it but be sure to push on the cross slide
so the slack
is on the other side of the cross slide screw thread. Make
sense? It may not
be much but enough to throw off your predicted cut.....
phil

Perhaps that what I did.

Ive got KDK on the Hardinge..and its a bit tired..though very usable.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9