Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default It Begins

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:27:51 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Pete C." on Wed, 11 Aug 2010 00:03:33 -0500

pyotr filipivich wrote:

"Pete C." on Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:26:41 -0500
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:24:30 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:47:55 -0400, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Thanks for the definition. I'd thought a cult was a following, often
religious. Led by a charismatic leader who claims some new revelation.
Had to look it up:
noun
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to
its rites and ceremonies.

What rites and ceremonies does the SA have?

Plenty, and that definition is not exclusive to rites and ceremonies.

So you don't know, or you assume that it must be so?

2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp.
as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing,
person, ideal, etc.

Which "thing" binds them together thats different from other religious
groups?
Other than Good Works.

I didn't say that the cult definition didn't apply to other religious
groups.

So what binds the Salvation Army together? What is so different
about that "binding" element?

5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites
centering around their sacred symbols.

What is their ideology and sacred symbols? Other than the crucifix and
the $ sign?

The link to their own site that Don provided shows some of their
ideology with respect to marriage outside their cult.

So, they prefer that you not marry outside the organization, and
that makes them a cult? Does the expression "be not yoked with
unbelievers" ring any bells?

6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or
extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society
under the direction of a charismatic leader.

So what part of the organization is false, unorthodox and extremist? Is
this like St Vincent de Paul..which is the Catholic charity?

Dictating that cult members must marry within the cult is certainly
considered extremist by most people, one of the reasons it made the
mainstream news when the issue came up.

Ah, so being different is what makes them a cult in your eyes.

Someone posted accepted definitions of a cult, and I indicated which of
those definitions the SA met.

Yet you say they meet those definitions, but don't clarify in what
manner they do. What do they do that meets the criterion.

If you don't like that they meet nearly
all of the definitions of a cult, that's your problem and doesn't change
the fact that they do indeed meet those accepted definitions.

The problem I have is that from the outside, every organization
can be called a cult, especially by those who have an animus against
it. Ever ask yourself "was [the organization I was in] a 'cult'?"
"been there, done that."

Yes, pretty much every religion meets the definitions of a cult. They
are pretty well synonymous.

I was never in *any* religion / cult, I was born with the insight to see
them for what they are, and the iron will to never be coerced by anyone.

So was josef stalin and Mao.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9