Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Hot supply sputtering / gate valves

"lister" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 7:26 am, harry wrote:
The gate valves are usually about 4 or 5 turns fully open to fully
shut. It's quite likely they are corroded up and can't be fully
opened/closed. Also the valve seats are quite likely corroded too &
the valve won't shut off tight.

Many thanks for all your replies guys. After reading that I had
another fiddle with the gate valves and managed to get the one
controlling the cold water feed to the cylinder all the way open. All
hot taps instantly fine again. Makes sense because they ran fine for a
few moments this morning before spluttering again which I guess is due
to the cylinder having a chance to fill full again overnight.

Looks like I'll have to look at replacing them at some point. Thanks
again.

Watch out for crud in your taps if you let the cold tank right down - there
may have been stuff floating on it. Probably won't happen but if your tank
isn't fully covered you never know (I once got a CH pump choked with
polystyrene beads, when its header tank ran dry that had been covered with
a polystyrene sheet that had started to break up.)