Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Amenities found in upscale homes

Nonnymus wrote:
I have a lifelong background in real estate and am now retired. I'd
enjoy discussing the differences in upscale single family residences
found in various parts of the country, if anyone is interested. It
seems to be at least partially OT for this newsgroup.

I am now retired to NV. Here, after looking at various custom and
semi-custom homes, I was surprised to learn I'd not "seen it all,"
yet. Besides the expected features and amenities found in most
upscale homes today, such as commercial appliances in kitchens, media
wiring, built in vac, granite counters, cabinetry in the closets and
multiple car garages, I have seen some new things. These include a
separate sink for vegetable preparation, usually located near the one
or two refrigerators, two dishwashers, pot filler faucet by the cook
top, outlets inside bathroom drawers for curlers and hair dryers,
fireplaces in major bathrooms and the master suite, steam showers and
(always) an in-ground pool with spa.
Upscale flooring in NV is typically Travertine in most areas and
carpet in the bedrooms, with large tile being acceptable if it
matches the theme of the home. Ceilings are usually 10' in the
"lower" semi-custom homes and 12' to 15' in the better custom ones. Doors
are almost always 8', solid, and have Baldwin or Emco hardware.
Windows are low E double pane, of course, and insulation is
extensive. Exterior walls are 6" and the better homes have 5/8"
drywall throughout. In some of the better custom homes, the front
door(s) are massive iron with swing out leaded glass inserts,
weighing in around 400# each.
The designated rooms of a custom home can include a media room, wine
cellar, gym, workshop/hobby room, office, den or sewing room. Some
homes have a detached building they call a Casita, which typically
has a Pullman kitchen, bath and bedroom for guests or a live in
relative/housekeeper. Most of even the semi-custom homes have a
separate, outdoor accessible toilet and shower for the pool and it
might double as an inside powder room. Besides a pool and spa,
outdoor kitchen with a minimum of grill and sink are found, and some
include a dishwasher and oven.
Another feature seen in the upscale homes is stepped, or coffered,
ceilings- many with crown mold as well on the vertical portions. Pot
shelves are found in even the tract homes. Drywall corners are
rounded, rather than square, and there is every conceivable finish to
the drywall other than flat and smooth. Even in the multi million
dollar homes, though, trim and baseboards are almost always painted
and of man-made material, rather than hardwood. Hardwood trim and
doors are simply not evident.
What amenities, features and the like do you find in your own area of
the country, such as the above? I'm sure it varies across the
country.

Some time back, Dilbert (the comic) published plans for his dream house. If
memory serves, it included:

* A Pet Room. Features included:
- Windows for kitty to look out from a shelf at window height
- Tiled, sloping floor with a drain in the center
- Double doors to the living area, one with a cat/dog flap.
- Door to the outside so pet could be let out
- Water faucet and hose rack
- Cabinet space for pet essentials

* A basement game room next to a room containing four bunk beds with
lockers. This for the hordes that come to visit with up to eight kids

* A tunnel to a two-story keep some distance away.

* Extreme energy conservation measures, including a yard covered entirely in
Astroturf.

The original floorplan is no longer online, but Google "dilbert+house" for
dozens of good ideas.