Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

Bob Villa wrote:
Who would be willing to fork-out $200 for this Made in USA product?

http://www.electric-fan.com/fans/9166D/

Lasko and Lakewood are made in America from foreign and domestic
parts. My box fans are Lasko and more than 10 years old and no issues
or complaints.

Air King is now a Lasko subsidiary. The 9166 made its name as a fan
that would blow 7000 cfm. Evidently, the construction wasn't good
enough for that much power; bearings seized, blades cracked, and grilles
broke. So they put on a wimpy motor for which they claim 3650 cfm.

I believe the Lasko 20-Inch Premium Box Fan ($24 at Amazon) claims 3623
cfm for only 150 watts. The manufacturer claims it blows 30% more than
other fans. In that case, it would need more stability. Indeed, it is
heavier and deeper than typical of plastic box fans. The 28 reviewers
seem to have a consensus that it blows more than other box fans they've
owned.

I once tested box fans for thrust by weighing them, hanging them by 6
feet of cord in the carport, and seeing how far back they moved when I
turned them on. From pounds of thrust and diameter I could compute cfm.

I remember my 9-pound Holmes was very wimpy compared to my antique
24-pound Lau. Dadburnit, I'm getting knocking from the Lau motor now!
I think the bearings are no longer handling the thrust. If I could find
a replacement motor, it would be expensive. I wonder if it's easy to
get bearings for a motor with a 3/8" shaft.