Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Right way to wire a generator tranfser switch?

In ,
RBM typed:
"millinghill" wrote in message
Hi Readers,

The installation instructions for the generator transfer
switch I want to buy (figure 4 on page 5 of
http://www.reliancecontrols.com/Docu...structions.pdf)
indicate that I'm to leave neatly placed wire nuts as
connections inside the circuit breaker panel box. My
neighbor (with some construction knowledge) says doing so
would be an electrical code violation: he says there
should be no wire nuts within the panel box.
Is it a code violation?
If so, what would be the "correct" way?

Thanks for advice,
Theodore.

Do it just as it shows in the documentation that comes with
the U.L. listed transfer switch, and you will be Nec compliant . and tell
your neighbor not to quit his day job

Not necessarily compliant to electrical code, though; the only source is
codes offices as they have the final say and have the info thr inspectors
use. NEC isn't the final word: The code enforcement is the final work.
There are also differences in how and whether the external disconnect is
positioned; check that too while you're at it.

HTH,

Twayne`