Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default A question for the plumbers.

On 8/10/2010 4:50 PM, The Post Quartermaster wrote:
I'm going to run a water line out to a little outbuilding I have out
near the barn. The line I am going to tap off of is probably a 3/4"
line. If I run a larger diameter, say a 1 or 11/4 inch from there to the
outbuilding would that result in any increase in pressure at the
outbuilding or would the fact that there was a 3/4" feed negate any
increase?

you certainly won't gain any PRESSURE by increasing the line. But you
can LOSE pressure if the line is too small. What you will do with a
larger line is eliminate any possibility of pressure drop due to
frictional losses. How far are you going? and do you really need a butt
load of pressure? Are you just filling tanks, or are you hosing out
stalls and need a good jet stream? I personally would not even bother
going up to the one inch, unless you're going over 500 feet, or up a
hill. One inch and one-and-a-quarter are quite a bit more expensive
than 3/4" also.

--
Steve Barker