Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus[_3_] Nonnymus[_3_] is offline

Default Soundproofing A Condo

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 9, 9:31 pm, "Bob" wrote:
I have a small one story condo with each unit separated by a concrete
block
firewall with wall board on either side. Unfortunately, neighbor noise
such
as loud talking, TV's and radios, comes through without much problem. To
give you an example, when reading in my living room next to the common
wall,
I can here someone peeing in the bathroom on the other side.

Anyone have experience in this area? I've heard of sound dampening wall
board but how effective is it? Would some kind of spray foam against the
concrete block do the job?

It sounds to me like there are openings in the block wall and/or that it
isn't continuous through the roof. A block wall's mass is good to take out
even the lower frequency sounds. If possible, and I know that it's probably
not possible without removing drywall, see if there is an opening in the
block wall near where you hear the most sound.

If you do remove drywall, consider adding fiberboard to the block wall with
glue, then placing a new, insulated, stud wall a half inch or so away,
leaving an air gap.

Check to see if there is a hole or gap around any outlets on that wall- if
so, stuff the gap with insulation or use foam, but not in the box itself.

Nonny