Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Jonathan is offline

Default Linking water butts together..

On 10 Aug, 15:36, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

Just wanted to get your thoughts on this one...

I am looking to install 3 water butts on a down pipe to capture as
much rain as possible. *Question is, how best to connect them??

My initial thought was to...

1. Install a rain water diverter and feed the water into the first
butt
2. cut a hole a 3rd of the way up the first butt and connect this to
the bottom (ie where the tap usually goes) of butt 2. *Ensuring the
pipe is horizontal. (i.e. butt 2 is higher than butt 1)
3.connect butt 3 to butt 2 again at the bottom (i.e. butt 2 and 3 are
at the same height)

In ASCII art *if it makes it any clearer!!......

* * * * *1 * * * * * 2 * * * * 3

* * * * * * * * * * [ * *] * * [ * *]
* * * *[ * * ] * * *[ * *] * * [ * *]
* * * *[ * * ]------[ * *]-----[ * *]

My thought process was that this should leave a good depth in butt 1
to fit a pump to pump the water to the garden.

Is this the best way to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Lee.

You will store more water if they are level and joined as low as
possible.

Jonathan