Posted to alt.home.repair
Luigi Zanasi[_2_] Luigi Zanasi[_2_] is offline

Default How NOT to build a wall

On Aug 6, 11:33*pm, Rich wrote:
Leon wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
I'm just finishing the demolition phase of a minor remodeling project in
my
basement, removing about 8 feet of wall installed by a previous
homeowner. This project teaches a lesson:

How NOT to Build a Wall, in Ten Easy Steps

1. Install the studs at random intervals.
2. Don't bother securing the bottom plate to the floor. If you cut a few
of
the studs just a bit long, and force-fit them, friction will keep the
bottom
plate in place.
3. Don't bother nailing those studs in place. Friction, remember?
4. Attach remaining studs to plates with six-penny box nails.
5. Use eight at each end because they're so small.
6. It's OK to use untreated lumber for the bottom plate. Water seepage
won't
harm fir, will it?
7. Use regular sheetrock for the entire wall. Water seepage won't harm
that
either, will it?
8. The doorpost doesn't need to be attached to the bottom plate. The
sheetrock
will keep it from moving.
9. Nail the sheetrock every 3 inches along each vertical edge.
10. That gives you enough nails that you don't need to nail it anywhere
else.

What shocks me and is a common practice is to install interior door jams
with no nails in the jam. *Staples in the jam moldings hold it all in
place. They don't need no stinkin shims.

Thats common practice on most new homes today. The rough openings are very
tight and they nail right to it then hold it together with the casement
trim. I still do it the old fashion way. *shim shim shim...
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

It also shocked me the first time I took the casing off a jamb. And
our house is usually exceptionally well built, as it was built as part
of the carpenter apprenticeship program and the instructor was a real
******* who made the students redo anything that was not perfect. I
know this because I talked to a couple of guys who had worked on it as
apprentices in 1978.

I will not say anything about want one of the subsequent owners did,
like removing a couple of 2X10 joists under the decks so he could
install a cheap tin overhead garage door. But he did replace each
joist with a couple of 2X4s

Luigi