Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Kevin" wrote

I didn't notice the flex until using my tenoning jig that rides the
fence. I don't bother clamping the stock in place as it takes too
much time when you have a lot of parts to cut, so you have to put some
significant force to keep it from riding up during the cut. But I
wasn't getting consistent cutting depths and that's when I tested out
pushing down on the insert and could see the sucker flex.

I put it to you like this; if you continue to improperly use a jig (as far
as I am concernened, not making use of a clamp constitutes improper use)
then almost any material is going to have some flex. Reinforce the insert
with a rib alongside the blade. Either that or get a metal insert made with
a sacrificial wood edge added by the blade.

I would urge you to reconsider using the clamp on a tenioning jig. Take the
time to be safe and accurate. One day, that will bite you.
--
Jim in NC

To the OP: Check your saw setup as previous posters have advised for
fence being parallel. And, consider modifying or making a new
tenoning jig with a base long enough so that the fore & aft ends are
always resting on the cast iron table, not on the insert.