Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

On 8/8/2010 12:12 PM RicodJour spake thus:

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:

I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of
the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

I've used 20" box fans for 40 yrs. Old, new, plastic, or metal, they
do what they are designed for. I'd recommend a 20" Lasko, the model
with the extra knob for temp (thermostat ...honest!). Last one I
bought was $20 as Lowe's.

So, you believe that your personal experience - one person's
experience - outweighs a conversation with an insurance adjuster?
Hmm. This wasn't some salesperson selling something - looking to gain
something from a lie. How often do people call you first when their
house catches on fire? Sheesh.

All I can say is that my own experience exactly mirrors that of
"notbob". I've used cheap box fans to ventilate places for a couple
decades now too. Last place I was in I had two of them semi-permanently
installed under a skylight to exhaust hot air. Ran continuously for
hours with nary a problem, in a very dusty environment.

Hell, one of the fans' front plastic grille completely disintegrated
from exposure to sunlight--just flaked into a jillion little
pieces--and the fan kept on just humming away.

My dad used to install window fans in the attic of our house as a
whole-house ventilation system in the summer. The fans he used were a
little better than the cheap Laskos one buys nowadays; I seem to
remember they were made by Bernz, but basically the same type of fan,
run by a fairly cheap induction motor. They lasted many seasons and
never failed.