Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

On Aug 8, 1:52*pm, "jimmy" wrote:
I recently *had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of
the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

If these are the words he used, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.
Being crushed by a refrigerator is one of the causes of death in the
house. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a refrigerator in your
house.

The stats someone else posted suggest just over one significant fire
per MILLION of this particular brand/models of fans. Even if I found
that I had one of those models, I wouldn't consider that enough of a
risk to bother returning it... Maybe that's just me. That's a bit more
likely than your chances of being killed by lightening in the U.S.

Maybe I might keep it away from any curtains...if I had any curtains.
I don't, partially because I consider them a much worse fire risk than
a cheap fan...