Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

jimmy wrote:
I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of
the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

The CPSC says that of 5.6 million fans of certain models, there have
been 42 reports of fires including 8 with serious damage.

If there are 100 million households in the US, that's a risk of about 1
in 12 million of a serious fire from one of these fans. If you have one
of these fans, the risk of fire appears to be about 1 in 100,000. The
risk that one of these fans will cause a serious fire appears to be
about 1 in a million. Lasko will send owners a cord adapter for protection.