Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default List of milling machine features I am seeking

Ignoramus2412 wrote:

Our older cnc lathes with gear boxes require a M41 or M42 command to switch gear ranges.
Perhaps you could implemnet something similar where the command emits an output you use to
shift the sheave. IRRC M41-44 are typical gear change M codes.

Wes, yes, I would like to find some good G code number and then
implement it. I got some suggestions on emc-users on how to do it,
with comparator elements of EMC. But speed change should only happen
during speed change, and not at any other moment, like reversal or
whatnot. If I get it to work, it will be much better than VFD, and
will let me tap with relatively larger taps.

I have a question, does your lathe have a back gear much like a manual Bridgeport? I've
never seen a mill like yours.

To some degree automating the sheave displacement should be lower on your list unless you
implement a tool changer. After all, you got to change a tool manually now, not much
effort to adjust the sheaves.

Are you planing a tool changer?

As far as keeping the varidrive, I went through a lot of effort to repair the varidrive on
my Clausing 6903 so I know where you are coming from. How hard my lathe can work is
limited by how hard I'm willing to push the thing.

Wes