Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default stud walls

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:50:59 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

I asked that very question in here a few years ago. I will repeat what
the late Andy Hall said to me at the time since it has proved to be
true. There are a couple of mags worth having. Woodsmith and Fine
Woodworking. Both are US mags. Woodsmith has a range of very well
detailed projects (typically 3 an issue) that would be within the
capabilites of most woodworkers to knock out. You may not want to
actually make any of the projects, but they are a good source of ideas
and design info as well as different techniques. Fine Woodworking is
more of an illustration of what it is possible to do with wood - rather
than anything you are necessarily going to knock out yourself (at least
without a few decades practice first!). They also have a web site with
lots of content - much they want paying for, but there is some very good
free stuff as well.

Thanks. I shall look into getting one or both of these. I hope
international shipping doesn't make the subscription too expensive, or
do you read an online version? What a pity there aren't any home-grown
magazines. I had seen a couple of woodworking ones in WHSmiths, are
they not rated by folks here?