Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Are BOX fans dangerous????

On 2010-08-08, jimmy wrote:
I recently had a conversation with an insurance adjuster who told me one of
the causes of fires in a home are these box fans...do you have any info
regarding this??

He's a lying sack of sh*t!

I've used 20" box fans for 40 yrs. Old, new, plastic, or metal, they
do what they are designed for. I'd recommend a 20" Lasko, the model
with the extra knob for temp (thermostat ...honest!). Last one I
bought was $20 as Lowe's.

The only prob I ever experienced was wind. Sometimes a late
night/early morning wind would come up and knock the fan out of the
window sill. Being and incredibly lazy ass, I'd drop the venetian
blinds jes far enough to hit the top back edge of the fan and give it
a little resistance from falling. Any good anchoring system will
prevent any probs.

nb